Friday, September 12, 2008

Ice Cream (Egg based)

This recipe needs a LOT of eggs, so it's a once a week/two table spoons kind of treat for my boys. Salamander misses real ice cream, and he says that this comes as close to the real thing as ever. Potatey never had real ice cream, so this is IT for him.

I've also been told that this recipe works well when replacing the eggs by coconut milk. I have NOT tried that myself (as coconut is off limits for Potatey).

Recipe adapted from Cooking to Heal Little Tummies - Jenna Roberts & Natalie Hagood

4 eggs - yolks split from egg whites
2 extra egg whites (so 6 egg whites total)
pinch of salt
1/4 cup safflower oil
1/4 cup honey

For mint/chocolate chip version (Salamander's fav):
1/2 tsp gluten free mint extract
1/4 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips

For chocolate version (Potatey's fav):
1/2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
1/4 cup chocolate fudge (I make my own - recipe will be posted too)

I have an ice cream maker, and I always keep two freezer bowls in my chest freezer so I can just *grab and go*. Make sure, if you have an ice cream maker, that the freezer bowl has at least been frozen over nite. If you don't have an ice cream maker, I've been told that freezing a glass container (like a Pyrex bowl) works too.

Beat the egg whites with the pinch of salt until completely stiff (my test is to put the bowl upside down to see if anything falls out - boys get a tremendous kick out of that). Set aside.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs yolks, the oil, the honey, the mint extract OR the vanilla extract (depending on what flavor I am making). Slowly add this mixture to the egg whites and fold in.

Pour it all into the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker. Turn the ice cream maker on and let spin for at least 40 minutes (mixture will become very gooey and creamy - I kid you not). Alternately, you can pour it all in your frozen glass bowl and place the bowl in the freezer over nite.

I add the chocolate chips or the chocolate fudge once the ice cream maker has been running for about 30 minutes. Then I scoop the ice cream mixture in a glass bowl (I have several Pyrex glass bowls - I do NOT like to freeze anything in plastic), and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours (the mixture will get a little soft as you're scooping out of the ice cream maker bowl - once you put it all in the freezer, it'll set up beautifully).

Alternately, you can omit the chocolate chips and/or add very finely chopped fruits or fruit juice (use the frozen juices - they have the right consistency).

We all LOVE this ice cream here. BUT it doesn't transport well (the stuff starts to melt and then separates within 5 - 10 minutes after taking it out of the freezer). So it's very much a *serve at home* treat.

No comments: