Monday, September 8, 2008

Easy Pancakes

Another quick mix that I like to use is Cherrybrook Kitchen's Glutenfree Pancake Mix (my local Shaw's carries it.. they have a pretty decent allergen-free groceries section.. not in the least due to the vocal praise of yours truly when the first products appeared on the shelf in this store).

The pancakes resulting from this mix are very fluffy and very stackable. Salamander still remembers his pre-dietary changes jaunts to our local IHOP (kid has a memory like a copper pot) -and the first thing out of his mouth when I plopped these pancakes in front of him was "Oh man, it's an IHOP pancake stacker!!!" Now mind you, he hasn't seen an IHOP from the inside in 4+ years!!!!

The ingredients are
White rice flour, evaporated cane juice, potato starch, non-aluminum (very important to us) baking powder, tapioca starch, all natural vanilla flavor (yeah, some Feingold kids have trouble with even the all natural flavors - salicylates; I think I read somewhere that all natural flavors also contain glutamates), sea salt, xantham gum

I use Pacific Brand Original Almond Milk as my milk sub (yes, that one contains soy lecithin.. this particular soy derivative is not an issue for us TG ; believe me, I tested it very carefully). But you can use any milk sub you like I would think. Other things you'll need to add are a little oil and some vanilla.

Serve with agave syrup. Yum, Yum.. Salamander usually eats them faster than I can bake them

(Potatey doesn't care much for these pancakes - he likes my *home grown* potato flour pancake recipe better.. I'll post that one as soon as I have more time)

No comments: