Sunday, September 14, 2008

Baked (fried?) Apple

Growing up, my mom used to make baked apple as part of Sunday Dinner. I have not been able to replicate her exact recipe. I came up with my own tasty variation instead.

4 small to medium sized apples (It's apple season in New England right now, so I plenty apples laying around); skinned, cored, quartered and sliced
almond oil (sunflower oil works too)
agave syrup
handful of organic cranberries
handful of organic raisins

Coat the bottom of a large skillet with almond oil.
Put raisins and cranberries in skillet. Keep it all at medium to high heat and let the fruit *toast* for a bit.

Add the apple slices. and let *toast* at medium heat for about 10 minutes. As apple slices start to get soft and slightly browned, turn heat to low. Drizzle agave syrup over the fruit mixture.

Let *toast*/*poach* for another 10 - 15 minutes at low heat (do flip the apple slices over frequently).

Salamander ate about 1/3 of what I made for dinner. I am sure that the left overs will be great with breakfast.

(if I were able to use cinnamon and walnuts, I would have added those. But alas)

No comments: